Free of: All top allergens, except sulphites (in optional alcohol) and gluten-free
Packed with: Antioxidants, vitamins C, A and E, magnesium
- 2 cups (475 mL) fresh blueberries, washed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) crème de cassis [Optional. Substitute: water]
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, crème de cassis (if using) and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by about half.
- Reduce to a simmer, adding blueberries, lemon juice and zest.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.
- Set aside and cool.
- Serve over no-fat, plain yogurt (or soy yogurt). Garnish with mint leaves.
Note: This compote can be made up to two days in advance and stored in the fridge.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To purchase that issue or to subscribe online, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.