Makes 18-20 cupcakes
Free of: All top allergens except egg, wheat and optional dairy (alternative suggested).
- 11⁄4 cups (310 mL) brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) melted butter (or substitute, e.g. Earth Balance)
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk (or soured soy milk* – see note at end)
- 3 cups (720 mL) zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 cups (475 mL) spelt flour, sifted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin tins. Cream together sugar, butter and oil. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each. Add vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips, combining well.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake for 35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 1 cup (250 mL) bittersweet chocolate [look for peanut-free, nut-free chocolate, such as Enjoy Life]
- Melt chocolate in a small heat-proof bowl over simmering water.
- Dip each cooled cupcake into glaze and allow to rest.
*Note: To sour soy milk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar to 1 cup (250 mL) soy milk.
Recipe by Food Editor Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.