Free of: All top allergens, except wheat. For gluten-free version of this recipe, click here .
- 3 cups (725 mL) apples, peeled, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minute tapioca
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) cold dairy-free margarine (e.g. Earth Balance) or butter, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 tbsp zest of one orange
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then pour into pie shell.
- To make the topping, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Spread topping over fruit filling and bake 35-40 minutes, until topping and crust are golden.
Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
- 3 cups (725 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp egg replacer or 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable shortening, diced
- 2⁄3 cup (160 mL) cold dairy-free margarine (e.g. Earth Balance) or butter, diced
- Pinch of salt
- Ice water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add dairy-free margarine or butter (if using) and shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Continue to pulse adding 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, until smooth dough forms.
- Remove dough. Divide in half and form each half into a disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once chilled, roll dough out to 1⁄4-inch thickness and lay into pie plate, trim edges.
Recipe by Simon Clarke Food photography by Chris Gonzaga First published in Allergic Living magazine. To order or subscribe, click here . © Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.