Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:25 pm In Christmas, Hanukkah,Cookies,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,For Kids,Halloween,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts | No Comments
Free of: All top allergens, except wheat.
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening or milk-free margarine
- 2 cups (475 mL) molasses
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) warm water
- 7 cups (1645 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Melt the shortening or margarine in a small saucepan or microwave. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooled shortening or margarine with the molasses and water.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring well until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove dough from fridge and roll out on a floured surface to 1⁄4-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes.
- Place gingerbread on a non-stick cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and decorate with homemade icing and allergy-free candies
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order a back issue of Allergic Living magazine, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/dessert-gingerbread-cookies/
URLs in this post:
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.