Gluten-Free Date Squares
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:31 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Free of: Gluten and top allergens.
Dates contain sulfites.
- 2 cups (475 mL) pitted dates
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) water
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) orange zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats (large). Use aGF brand, such as Bob’s Red Mill .
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) butter or for dairy-free, use same amount of allergy-safe vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook on medium 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a paste forms. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice. Set aside.
- For crumb layer: combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl. Melt butter or shortening and brown sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Pour into flour mixture and add vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Place two-thirds of crumb mixture into pan and press in lightly. Add date filling and top with remaining crumb mix.
- Bake 20–25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. Cut into 12 squares. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
For traditional recipe, click here 
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/dessert-gluten-free-date-squares/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Date-Squares.jpg
 Bob’s Red Mill: http://www.bobsredmill.com/
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=218
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.