Gluten-Free Fresh Raspberry and Fig Galette
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:34 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,GF Baking,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens, except optional egg and dairy.
- 10 fresh figs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh raspberries
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk [optional]
- 1⅓ cups (320 mL) rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) vegetable shortening, chilled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) butter, chilled and diced [for dairy-free, omit butter and use 2/3 cup (160 mL) shortening.]
- 3 tbsp ice water
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, shortening and butter (if using). Add water 1 tbsp at a time until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto counter, gently form into a disk. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Remove dough from fridge and place between 2 sheets of wax paper. Roll out to a 12-inch circle and place into a 10-inch round baking dish, gently pushing into sides and bottom. Do not trim excess dough.
- To make the filling, toss figs and raspberries with sugar. Place mixture into pastry, leaving a 2-inch border around the outside edge.
- Fold pastry edges over fruit. Brush with egg yolk (if using). Sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Serve gallette warm with ice cream or dairy-free whipped topping.
For traditional recipe, click here .
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Winter 2009.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/dessert-gluten-free-raspberry-and-fig-galette/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Gallette.jpg
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=225
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.