Free of: Gluten and all top allergens, except dairy. (Alternative suggested.)
- 4-5 stalks fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 4 cups (1 kg) strawberries, halved
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tapioca cereal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice topping
- 3⁄4 cup (200 g) white rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) potato starch flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder (look for gluten-free)
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) softened butter or alternative (Earth Blend)
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice drink (or substitute soy or almond drink)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens. Gently fold in strawberries and set aside.
- To make topping, in a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter or alternative with a pastry blender (or two forks) until crumbly. Add rice drink and vanilla, mixing until just combined.
- Place fruit mixture in a lightly greased 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Spoon on topping. Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until fruit begins to bubble and top is a light gold.
Note: When using non-gluten flours, the cooked cobbler will have a smooth rather than crumbly texture.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or subscribe, click here.