Scrumptious Pumpkin Pie
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:39 pm In Christmas, Hanukkah,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Winter | No Comments
Filling Free of: All top allergens, and gluten when using gluten-free crust.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 mL) pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs or 1⁄ 3 cup (85 mL) egg replacer
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sour cream. For dairy-free, use plain soy yogurt.
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream or dairy-free alternative e.g. Nutriwhip
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into desired pie crust (recipes follow).
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust – click here .
Regular Pie Crust (makes two crusts)
This version contains wheat.
- 3 cups (725 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 egg yolks or 2 tbsp egg replacer
- 2⁄3 cup (160 mL) butter, diced
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) vegetable shortening, diced. For dairy-free, make it 1 cup of shortening and omit butter.
- Pinch of salt
- Ice water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add butter (if using) and shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Continue to pulse adding 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, until smooth dough forms.
- Remove dough. Divide in half and form each half into a disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once chilled, roll dough out to 1 ⁄ 4-inch thickness and lay into pie plate, trim edges.
For gluten-free recipe, click here 
Recipe by Food Editor Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/dessert-pumpkin-pie/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/recipes.slideshow.dessert.scrumptious-pumpkin-pie.jpg
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=221
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.