Gluten-Free Raspberry Tarts
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:42 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,For Kids,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Summer,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Free of: Gluten and top allergens.
Requires: Two 7-inch tart pans
- 1⅓ cup (320 mL) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) fine cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) xanthum gum*
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) cold water
*Available at health food stores.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine thoroughly. Drizzle oil slowly into bowl, stirring continuously with a fork, until mixture comes together in pea-sized pieces.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time until dough forms a ball. Divide into two halves, form into two disks and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Remove dough from fridge. Place each disk between two sheets of parchment paper and roll each out to roughly an 8-inch circle.
- Peel off parchment paper and gently place dough into each tart pan, pressing gently into bottom and sides of pan, then trim excess dough. Pierce bottom of crusts with a fork multiple times.
- Bake tart crusts for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- 3 pints fresh raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (475 mL) rice milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) raspberry jam
- In a medium saucepan, combine tapioca flour, cornstarch and sugar. Add half of the rice milk and cook over medium heat until dry ingredients have dissolved.
- Add remaining milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Spread 1 tbsp of raspberry jam over bottom of each prepared tart shell.
- Add filling on top of the jam and spread evenly.
- Top filling with fresh raspberries and dust lightly with powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until just before serving.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To view issues or subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/dessert-raspberry-tarts/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/recipe.raspberry-tarts.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.