Free of: Top allergens except gluten.
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) dairy-free butter alternative, e.g. Earth Balance, or unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg or equivalent egg replacer
- 1½cups (360 mL) sifted light spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) pumpkin seeds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Cream sugar, butter alternative and oil until light and fluffy. Add egg and ginger; incorporate well.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir into wet mixture and mix well.
- Drop by large spoonful onto parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space for spreading during baking. Flatten slightly with spatula and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.