Great Date Squares
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:23 pm In Christmas, Hanukkah,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Free of: All top allergens, except sulphites in dates
- 2 cups (475 mL) pitted dates
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) water
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) orange zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free rolled oats (large)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) butter [for dairy-free, substitute vegetable shortening]
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook on medium 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a paste forms. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice. Set aside.
- For crumb layer: combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl. Melt butter (or shortening) and brown sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Pour into flour mixture and add vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Place 2/3 of crumb mixture into pan and press in lightly. Add date filling and top with remaining crumb mix.
- Bake 20–25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. Cut into 12 squares.
Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
For gluten-free recipe, click here 
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Winter 2009.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/desserts-date-squares/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Date-Squares.jpg
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=219
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.