Classic Beef Pot Roast
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 4:36 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Main Dishes,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
Free of: All top allergens, except sulphites (in optional wine) and gluten-free.
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) rice flour or all-purpose flour
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- A 4 lb (2 kg) beef chuck roast
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 6 cups (1.5 L) beef broth [look for allergen-free, gluten-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine [optional]
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) of ginger, peeled and smashed
- 10-12 cipollini onions, peeled
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) slices
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into thick rounds
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 10-12 button mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Season flour with salt and pepper. Coat beef with seasoned flour and set aside.
- In a large, ovenproof dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over high heat on stove. Sear beef on all sides until golden brown. Remove from pot, set aside.
- Add broth, wine (if using), herbs, garlic and ginger to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Return roast to pot and cover. Place in oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove pot and add all vegetables. Return to oven and continue to cook for 1 more hour, until a fork can easily enter the beef.
- Remove beef and slice. Arrange slices on a serving platter and ladle vegetables and cooking liquid over top. Remove bay leaves, thyme and oregano. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To get the magazine delivered to your door, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/main-beef-pot-roast/
URLs in this post:
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.