Free of: (Stew) all top allergens and gluten-free.
Dumplings (optional) contain wheat and dairy.
- 2 lb (1 kg) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
- Pinch of each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 8-10 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste [look for sulphite-free brands]
- 4 cups (950 mL) vegetable broth [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) milk
- In a large bowl, toss lamb with flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add vegetables, garlic, onions and rosemary to pan, sauté for 4-6 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir to combine. Add broth and return lamb to pan. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dumplings, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add olive oil and milk. Mix to form a soft dough and divide into 8 flattened balls.
- Place dumplings on stew and continue to simmer for another 15-18 minutes.
- Serve stew with one dumpling per person.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography, Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Winter 2008. To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.