Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 4:51 pm In Birthday,Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,For Kids,International,Main Dishes,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 2 cups (475 mL) masa harina corn flour mix [Look for GF brands]
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sunflower oil
- 1 lb (450 g) ground turkey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- pinch salt
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups (475 mL) refried beans [Look for allergen-free brands or see “Baked Beans ” recipe.]
- To make the tortillas, combine the masa harina and salt in a bowl. Slowly add the water to form a dough. If too crumbly, add a little more water, if too wet add more masa harina.
- Knead dough 3-4 minutes. Divide dough into 12 golfball-size balls.
- Place each ball between plastic wrap and roll out to crepe thickness.
- In a dry sauté pan (preferably cast iron), on medium heat, cook each tortilla for about 1 minute per side.
- Next, heat sunflower oil in a large sauté pan. Add turkey and sauté for 4-6 minutes. Add chili powder and salt. Continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Fill each cooked tortilla with the turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado and beans. Fold in half and enjoy.
Pairs well with: Rhubarb Mojito 
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Spring 2010  5th anniversary edition.
More Southwest Cuisine recipes in that issue. To order it, or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/main-turkey-tortillas/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/recipe.turkey-tortillas.jpg
 Baked Beans: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=112
 Rhubarb Mojito: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=367
 Spring 2010: http://www.allergicliving.com/issues.asp?issue_id=23
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.