Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Posted By Simon Clarke On 2010/09/03 @ 6:43 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soups,Soups,Soy,Sulphites,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Vegan,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
- 2 small butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise, washed, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1½ to 2 tbsp (20 to 30 mL) curry paste [Look for allergen-free, g-f brand]
- 5 cups (1.2 L) chicken or vegetable stock [Allergen-free, g-f brand]
- 1½ cups (350 mL) apple juice
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 20 leaves of fresh sage
- Heat oven to 375° F. Lay squash halves onto a baking sheet, cut side down. Cook for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leek, onion and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- Add curry paste and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Scoop out squash flesh, add to soup pot, along with stock and apple juice. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20-25 minutes.
- In batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with briefly fried sage leaves and toasted fresh bread.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/09/03/curried-butternut-squash-soup/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/recipe-curried-butternut-squash-soup.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.