- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled
- 1 large pear, peeled
- 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacer
- 2 tbsp all-purpose gluten-free flour or 1 1/2 tbsp matzo meal
- Few pinches salt and pepper
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil [check for allergy-safe brand]
- Coarsely grate potato, parsnips and pear. Transfer to bowl after squeezing out and discarding excess juice.
- Add egg (or egg replacer), flour or meal and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Using a large soup spoon, place one helping of latke mixture into oil, flattening gently with back of spoon.
- Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy. Remove to paper towel to drain oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat process, making about 12-15 latkes. Serve with apple sauce and vegan (dairy-free) sour cream.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .