- Allergic Living - http://allergicliving.com -
Gluten-Free Chocolate Brownies
Posted By Shelley Case, RD On 2011/08/11 @ 3:02 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,GF Baking,Pies, Squares | No Comments
Makes 16 servings
Free of: Gluten
1/2 cup (125 ml/1 stick) unsalted butter or buttery spread
3/4 cup (175 ml/about 6 oz) bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup (125 ml) black bean flour*
1/4 cup (50 ml) cocoa
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a 9×9-inch square nonstick metal baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
2. In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat the butter and chocolate chips on low power until the chips are melted. Stir until blended, then beat in the sugar with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the bean flour, cocoa, xanthan gum and salt until well blended and then gradually beat it into the chocolate mixture on medium-low speed until no flour is visible. Stir in the nuts (if desired). Spread the batter in the pan with a wet spatula. This batter is very thick.
4. Bake until the brownies feel firm to the touch, about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Use the parchment overhang to transfer the brownies from the pan to the wire rack to finish cooling. Remove the parchment and cut into 16 squares.
*NOTE: To measure the black bean flour, whisk it in a canister a few times to aerate it and then lightly spoon it into a measuring cup before leveling it off with a knife. Don’t use a measuring cup as a scoop; you’ll get up to 20% more flour in the recipe which can result in dry baked items. Don’t pack the flour down and never measure dry ingredients like flour or sugar in spouted glass measuring cups (meant for liquids) because you may get more than necessary.
Recipe courtesy of Pulse Canada . For more information about baking gluten-free with pulses, and for the nutritional analysis of this recipe, see Pulse Canada’s Pulses and the Gluten-Free Diet .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2011/08/11/gluten-free-chocolate-brownies/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Chocolate-Brownies.jpg
 Pulse Canada: http://allergicliving.comwww.pulsecanada.com
 Pulses and the Gluten-Free Diet: http://www.pulsecanada.com/pulses-and-the-gluten-free-diet
Copyright © 2010 Allergic Living. All rights reserved.