Valentine’s Day: The Allergy-Friendly Candy List
Here’s some sweet news for all you last-minute Valentine’s Day shoppers: Supermarket and drugstore seasonal candy finds are becoming more and more allergy-friendly and gluten aware. We found several options right in the local aisles.
Updated for 2013 with files from Erin Stevenson, Website Coordinator
• Double your love this Valentine’s Day by giving Divvies’ Two Hearts. These gourmet chocolate hearts can be enjoyed solo or shared with someone special. Contain soy. Available at Whole Foods locations in the U.S. and Canada. For more stores visit www.divvies.com.
• Allergy-friendly candy company Gimbal’s offers Cherry Lovers fruit chews, in charming heart shapes and made with real cherry juice. Free of the top 8 allergens, they are gluten-free and gelatin-free, plus contain no high-fructose corn syrup or trans fats. Available at grocers throughout the U.S. and in Canada at select Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart and London Drugs stores. Also buy online at www.gimbalscandy.com.
• Got fans of gummy candies on your list? All-natural, organic Fruity Hearts from Surf Sweets are available for a limited time in a seasonal heart shape. Enjoy mouth-watering cherry and watermelon flavors that are gluten-free, GMO-free and free of the Top 8 allergens.
• Class parties get a boost from Skittles Candy and Stickers, a candy kit with 25 Valentines (includes one for teacher!), along with small boxes of the original fruity candy. No peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, eggs or dairy – or gelatin.
• What would Valentine’s Day be without chocolate? Heart-shaped Valentine’s Dove Dark Chocolate Promises are dark, delicious – and nut-free. They’re gluten-free, too (but do contain milk and soy lecithin).
• Andes Crème de Menthe Mints are another great free-from chocolate option for your allergic sweetie. Wrapped in seasonal Valentine’s packaging, these luscious candy favorites are the perfect gift: no peanuts, tree nuts, eggs or gluten (but do contain milk and soy).
• Kids (and kids at heart) will adore Smarties Love Hearts, the classic candy wafer with a Valentine’s twist. Free of gluten and the Top 8 allergens, each candy is imprinted with a heart design and a sweet saying. Have fun comparing love messages.
• In Canada, look for Canuck-style Smarties (from Nestlé Canada) in an attractive heart-shaped box with that eye-catching peanut-free logo. Also, no artificial flavors. Contains dairy, wheat and soy.
• Give kids twice the delight with a Kinder Surprise Egg. The certified peanut- and nut-free chocolate egg contains a small toy ready to assemble for an extra dash of fun & learning. No egg either, but contains dairy and soy lecithin.
Next: Online Goodie Shopping