Autumn Apple Pie
Posted By Simon Clarke On 2012/08/16 @ 1:46 pm In Dessert,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Fruit Dessert,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts | No Comments
gluten-free crust 
- 2 1 ⁄2 cups (590 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) vegetable shortening, cubed and chilled
- 12 tbsp (180 mL) unsalted butter, cubed, chilled
- 6-8 tbsp (90-120 mL) ice water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the shortening and process in short bursts (about 10), until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the butter and pulse again, about 10 times, until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over mixture and around edge of bowl. Stir with rubber spatula, pressing dough into centre until it sticks together. Add remaining water as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 2 even pieces, shape into flattened disks. Wrap disks in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature, then roll out.
Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
- 5-6 Mutsu apples (or similar), peeled and cored
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1 lemon’s zest and juice (about 3 tbsp)
- 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup (160 mL) white sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ⁄2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (60 mL) milk or rice milk
- Pre-heat oven to 425° F. Place a 9-inch pie plate near work area.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of the dough to an approximately 15-inch circumference (fits the pie plate with 1-inch of overhang). Transfer dough to pie plate, press into shape (but leave trim long). Rest shell in the refrigerator.
- Cut the Mutsu apples into thick cross-wise slices, then cut each slice in half. Cut the Granny Smith apples into thin lengthwise slices. Place sliced apples into a large mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice and zest, both sugars, tapioca flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Toss apples to coat.
- Pile apples into chilled pie shell, slightly higher in the centre.
- Roll out second disk to about 13 inches, cut decorative vents into pastry, cover the pie, and trim to fit bottom crust. Seal the two crusts with a little water, and crimp the edge. Brush pie with milk or rice milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 375° F and bake a further 40 minutes, or until apples test tender with a fork.
- Cool at least two hours on a baking rack. Serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order the magazine, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2012/08/16/autumn-apple-pie/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Autumn-Apple-Pie1.jpg
 gluten-free crust: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/08/27/perfect-gluten-free-pie-crust/
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.