Allergy-Friendly Mexican 7-Layer Dip
This flavorful appetizer can be as convenient or homemade as you like. The thick dairy-free “cheese” sauce comes together quickly and the rest can be store-bought or whipped up in your kitchen with the easy recipes that follow.
Makes: 12 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 16 oz (454 g) can refried beans
- 1 packet ‘safe’ taco seasoning or batch Taco Spice Mix recipe here.
- 3/4 – 1 cup (175-250 mL) coconut or rice milk beverage
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sliced, soft cooked carrots
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 tbsp rice bran, grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 – 1 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 4 oz (113 mL) can diced green chilies, drained (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) dairy-free store-bought guacamole, or Speedy Guacamole recipe here.
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe here.
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sliced black olives, drained
- Tortilla chips, store-bought or Fresh Baked Tortilla Chips recipe here.
- In a medium bowl, stir beans and taco seasoning to combine.
- Place 3/4 cup milk beverage, carrots, nutritional yeast, starch, oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder and paprika in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a medium pan over medium heat. Bring to a bubble, while whisking. Continue to cook and whisk 2 minutes, or until thickened. Whisk in additional milk beverage, as needed, to thin. Add salt, to taste, and optionally stir in green chilies for a spicy queso “cheese”.
- Evenly spread beans in a flat-bottomed serving dish with high sides (at least 3 inches high if using an 8-inch dish). Evenly spread on guacamole layer. Whisk “cheese” sauce to smooth and evenly spread over guacamole. Sprinkle with shredded chicken, lightly pressing in to even out. Top the chicken with salsa or pico de gallo, sprinkle on lettuce and then olives. Serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes