Butternut Pasta with Sage Cream Sauce
Simmered with comforting sage, this ‘buttery’ sauce was tailor-made for the earthy flavors of autumn squash.
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photography: Chris Gonzaga
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 g) butternut squash, cut into 3/4-inch cubes*
- 1 1/2 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/4 tsp + 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 3/4 lb (340 g) gluten-free pasta
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dairy-free, soy-free margarine
- 20 sage leaves, thinly sliced + extra
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250 mL) full-fat, canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) warm water + 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 cups (710-950 mL) diced cooked chicken* (see note below) or 1 1/2 cups (120 mL) cooked chickpeas.
Look for precut squash in the produce section. If short on time, squash cubes can be steamed 10 minutes, or until tender, rather than roasted. For freshly cooked chicken, cut 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts into 3/4-inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl, sprinkle with 4 teaspoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place squash on a baking sheet drizzle with oil and sprinkle on 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Spread pieces to avoid touching. Roast 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Melt margarine in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. While simmering, add sage and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Whisk in coconut milk, 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cold water, starch and nutritional yeast. Whisk into skillet until fully incorporated. When sauce begins to bubble, whisk continuously while cooking for 3 minutes, or until thickened but still pourable. Stir in lemon juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- Plate pasta, top with squash, cooked chicken or chickpeas and drizzle with sauce. Serve with garnish of fresh sage.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes