Chicken Slider Sandwich with Spicy Chipotle Mayo
Sandwich meets burger in this fun fusion of flavors. Slice the baguette and simply serve with salted potato chips to feed a table of four. For a delicious Vietnamese twist, try my Banh Mi variation at end of the recipe.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Christina Frantzis is recipe developer and food stylist. Her website is christinafrantzis.com.
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) soy-free vegan (or regular) mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground chicken
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) potato starch
- 2 tbsp non-GMO canola or rice bran oil
- 1 gluten-free, allergen-free baguette
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 5 oz alfalfa sprouts
- For the chipotle mayo, place mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, vinegar, honey and salt in a blender and puree until smooth.
- For the chicken sliders, add ground chicken to a medium bowl and stir in green onions, parsley, salt , garlic powder and coriander until evenly distributed. Shape into 12 mini patties.
- Place potato starch in a shallow bowl. Dredge a patty in starch, shake off excess and set on a plate. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil. Space out patties in skillet to avoid touching; cooking in 2 batches, if necessary. Cook 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no pink remains.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise. Top bottom half with chipotle mayo, chicken patties, tomato, avocado and sprouts. Add baguette top half to create sandwich. Cut into 4 equal portions to serve.
Spicy Chipotle Mayo
Banh Mi Variation
Omit tomatoes, avocado and sprouts. Top baguette bottom half with chipotle mayo, chicken sliders, thinly sliced cucumber, pickled matchstick carrots and daikon radish, cilantro lives, a squeeze of lime juice and baguette top half.
Spicy Chipotle Mayo-Free Sauce Option
Whisk 3 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal in a small bowl and let site 10 minutes. To a blender, add flax mixture, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey and 1/2 teaspoon salt and puree until smooth and thick.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes