Chicken & Vegetable Yakitori
- 6 tbsp coconut amino acids
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 6 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz small white button mushrooms (halved, or quartered if larger than 1 1/2 inches) trimmed and wiped clean (don’t rinse)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Yakitori is traditional Japanese street food. These tasty grilled skewers usually require soy and wheat/gluten for their flavorful marinade, but this allergy-friendly version is made with coconut amino acids (found in many natural food grocery markets) instead for a savory, sweet and tangy sauce.
The skewers are great for dinner, but also as party food. I like making them with wooden or bamboo skewers, but they can also be made with metal skewers.
Makes: 4 servings as main, 6 as appetizer
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well to dissolve brown sugar. Transfer to a small saucepan, using a rubber spatula to scrape out all sauce from the bowl.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, decrease heat to medium-low and keep at a slow simmer for 18 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp. (Or place in refrigerator to cool).
- Combine sauce with chicken in a large bowl, tossing well to coat the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, this is a good time to prep your vegetables.
- In the final hour of marinating the chicken, soak wooden or bamboo skewers in cool water. You will need about 10 skewers if you are using 10-inch skewers, and 16 if using 8-inch skewers.
- Thread chicken and vegetables onto the skewers, starting with peppers, alternating chicken and vegetables. Don’t pack too tight. Reserve the remaining marinade to baste the skewers while grilling.
- Brush skewers with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper, flip, sprinkle other side.
- Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill well.
- Add skewers, baste with reserved marinade, cook for 4 minutes, flip skewers, baste again, and cook 4 minutes. Continue cooking, turning to brown on all sides and until chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes total. Keep an eye on them, as they need to be turned often. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes