Hot Chocolate Cookies
These rich, chewy and almost gooey cookies are a delightful indulgence. Keeping them crunchy on the outside but “just baked” on the inside melds perfectly with the sweet marshmallow topping.
Makes: 24 cookies
Free of: gluten, and all top allergens
Photo by: Hannah Kaminsky
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup (120 mL) brown rice flour*
- 1⁄ 3 cup (80 mL) tapioca starch
- 1⁄ 3 cup (80 mL) lightly packed cocoa powder
- 1 ⁄ 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄ 3 cup (80 mL) mashed ripe avocado
- ¼ cup (60 mL) melted coconut oil* or shortening (such as Spectrum palm shortening)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup (120 mL) allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄ 3 cup (160 mL) mini-marshmallows [look for allergy-safe brand]
*If gluten is not a concern, then you can use an equivalent amount of all-purpose flour in place of the rice flour. *Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, starch, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado, oil, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl, and blend until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough by the rounded tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheet, and flatten them slightly, to about 1 ⁄ 2-inch thickness. Bake them for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and gently press three marshmallows into the center of each cookie.
- Return the cookies to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, before removing them to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes