Orange Beef Stir-Fry
The bright, fresh ingredients in this citrusy stir-fry provide delicious versatility. It can be served over rice, quinoa or kale salad, or in lettuce cups.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Christina Frantzis is recipe developer and food stylist. Her website is christinafrantzis.com.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 lb (450 g) beef, thinly sliced (striploin, sirloin or flank steak, cut against grain)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 2 tbsp non-GMO canola oil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups (295 mL) snow peas, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, cornstarch and vinegar until starch is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, toss beef slices with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes and sizzle for a few seconds. Add beef and cook 3 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and zest, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in broth.
- Drizzle in cornstarch mixture (from Step 1), whisking constantly until sauce thickens. Stir in snow peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes