News that 17-year-old Morgan Crutchfield of Staley, North Carolina died of anaphylaxis on October 5, 2015, hit the food allergy community hard. This community was already reeling from the anaphylaxis deaths in September of Simon Katz, a Colorado high school student, and of Andrea Mariano, a Canadian teenager who suffered an ultimately fatal reaction on… Read more »
Two lawsuits filed by the mother of Amarria Johnson, the 7-year-old Virginia girl who died from eating a single peanut at school recess, appear to have been settled as of September 2015. Amarria’s mother, Laura Pendleton, had filed a wrongful death suit against Chesterfield County, Virginia, where the school her daughter attended is located, and… Read more »
In October 2014, Allergic Living declared in a headline that “Teal is the New Orange” (at least in pumpkins), and our sense of a bewitching trend proved right on target. The Teal Pumpkin Project, sponsored and led by the non-profit FARE, took off last fall as thousands of parents and kids across the United States… Read more »
It’s important to be organized and communicate well to ensure that the school your allergic child is attending is on top of anaphylaxis prevention measures and safety protocols.
A study of pregnancy experiences finds that women with celiac disease are significantly more likely to miscarry or give birth prematurely than other women. The study was conducted through a lengthy online survey and involved 970 women: 329 of whom had tested postive by biopsy for celiac disease, and a control group of 641 women… Read more »
May 5, 2015 – It was the food allergy law that became famous across North America, and the hope born from tragedy. Ten years ago this month – May 16, 2005 – a legislative bill to accommodate students at risk of anaphylaxis in their schools in the province of Ontario was put to a final… Read more »
Long recognized for their allergy accommodations, Walt Disney World and Disneyland, just got even friendlier.
Video goes viral, while program guides the ‘how-tos’ of conversation.
The FDA is advising people who are highly allergic to peanuts to consider avoiding products that contain ground cumin or cumin powder.
Shahida Shahid, 18, informed restaurant staff of her severe food allergies and they assured her that her meal was safe.