Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
Posted By Simon Clarke On 2012/11/14 @ 11:29 am In Appetizers,Eggs,Fall,Fish,International,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Sides,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
Free of: Gluten and top allergens
- 1 1 ⁄2 lbs (0.7 kg) ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot chili sauce [Look for allergen-free, gluten-free brand]
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) pineapple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) rice wine vinegar
- Add all ingredients for chicken balls to a large bowl, except the cornmeal and vegetable oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, take about 2 tbsp of mix, and roll into a ball. Continue this process until the mixture is used up.
- Place cornmeal in a wide, flat bowl. Roll chicken balls in to coat.
- Using a large sauté pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add balls and turn often, until cooked through and golden brown.
- For the sauce: combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm chicken balls on skewers. Drizzle with sauce.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: https://allergicliving.com
URL to article: https://allergicliving.com/index.php/2012/11/14/sweet-and-sour-chicken-balls/
URLs in this post:
 Image: https://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-Balls.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com../subscribe.asp
Click here to print.