Allergy-Friendly Lemon-Blueberry Tart
Fresh berries meet luscious lemon curd and the perfect gluten-free crust. What more could one ask?
Makes: 1 (9-inch) tart
Free of: gluten and all top allergens.
- 4 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine sticks (such as Earth Balance), cut into small cubes
- 8 tsp natural shortening (such as Spectrum Organic)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3-5 tbsp ice water
- 2 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free buttery margarine sticks (such as Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (such as King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 3 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine sticks (such as Earth Balance), cut into small cubes
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Coconut is technically a fruit, not a tree nut. If you are nut allergic, do confirm with your doctor that coconut is safe for you.
- For tart dough, place margarine cubes and natural shortening in freezer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Remove margarine cubes and shortening from freezer. Cut shortening into small pieces. With your fingers, cut margarine and shortening cubes into flour mixture until the size of peas.
- Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing with fork. Once dough comes together, knead for about 20 seconds. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- For lemon curd, dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of the water. In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining water, and sugar. When mixture starts to simmer, add cornstarch mixture and simmer 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in dairy-free margarine. Let cool several hours in refrigerator.
- For coconut crumble, in a medium bowl combine gluten-free flour, coconut, the sugars, and salt. Mix well. With your fingers, cut in margarine cubes until they resemble small peas. Place in refrigerator until ready to assemble tart.
- To pre-bake tart, preheat oven to 350° F, and have a 9-inch fluted, ungreased tart pan with removable bottom available. Take dough from refrigerator, and knead until it comes together. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness, creating a circle large enough to cover tart pan. Lightly press dough into the pan, and trim excess.
- Place tart pan on cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove tart from oven and let cool in pan. Set aside.
- For blueberry filling, in a medium-size bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca flour, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- To assemble tart, arrange blueberry mixture in pre-baked tart shell. Spread lemon curd over blueberries. Top with coconut crumble. Bake at 350° F for 30-35 minutes, until crumble is nicely brown and hte filling just begins to bubble. If crumble is darkening too much, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Allow tart to cool slightly before removing from pan.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes