Beet Chips with Chipotle Aioli
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 6-8 medium red beets, peeled
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable or sunflower oil [look for allergy-friendly brand]
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sea salt
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers (canned), minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) egg-free mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise (for soy allergy, look for soy-free brand)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 350° F. (A candy thermometer is ideal for this.)
- Meanwhile, using a mandolin slicer, slice beets into wafer-thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss beet slices with cornstarch.
- Fry the beets in the oil in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, transfer cooked chips to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- For the aioli, combine chipotle peppers with mayo. Place into dipping bowl and serve with beet chips.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes