Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Pumpkin
- 2-pound (1 kg) pork loin roast, de-boned and tied
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp allspice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 apples, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cups (475 mL) diced pumpkin
- 2 cups (475 mL) chicken stock (look for allergen-free brand)
- 1 796 mL (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Pat the pork roast dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic, allspice and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Rub pork roast with the mixture and chill up to 4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides, then set it aside.
- Add onion, garlic cloves, apples and pumpkin. Saute 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, and return the roast to Dutch oven.
- Cover, place in oven, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove roasts to cutting board and rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with vegetable mixture and sauce.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes