Brown Rice Pilaf with Acorn Squash and Raisins
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/4 cup (160 mL) olive oil
- 1 acorn squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups (475 mL) long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, grated
- 4 cups (950 mL) vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, GF brand]
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) raisins
- Pinch salt and pepper
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add to pan squash, onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, rice and apple
- Pour in stock, along with raisins, salt and pepper
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 40-45 minutes, until rice is tender
- Serve as a side or enjoy as a vegetarian main course.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes