Carrot Cake Shake
Vegetables gain healthy appeal when whipped into a favorite dessert flavor. I simply steamed extra carrots at dinner, and chilled the leftovers to concoct this delicious blend in the morning. Don’t be tempted to skip the salt; just a pinch heightens the flavors of spices.
Makes: 1-2 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped sweet carrots, steamed until soft, and cooled
- 1 very ripe large banana, broken into chunks and frozen
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) ice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen pineapple chunks or peeled orange segments
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) light coconut milk* or milk beverage (coconut, flax, rice or hemp)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free quick oats
- 1 tbsp raisins or 1 pitted Medjool date
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or flavoring
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 6-10 drops pure stevia extract, 1-2 tsp honey, or sweetener of choice, to taste
*A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- Place carrots, banana, ice and pineapple in a blend, with the carrots closest to the blades.
- Add coconut milk or milk beverage, oats, raisins or date, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and blend until smooth.
- Taste test and blend in sweetener, as needed.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes