Gluten-Free Fresh Raspberry and Fig Galette
- 10 fresh figs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh raspberries
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1⅓ cups (320 mL) rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) vegetable shortening, chilled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) butter, chilled and diced [for dairy-free, omit butter and use 2/3 cup (160 mL) shortening.]
- 3 tbsp ice water
Makes: 8-10 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, shortening and butter (if using). Add water 1 tbsp at a time until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto counter, gently form into a disk. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Remove dough from fridge and place between 2 sheets of wax paper. Roll out to a 12-inch circle and place into a 10-inch round baking dish, gently pushing into sides and bottom. Do not trim excess dough.
- To make the filling, toss figs and raspberries with sugar. Place mixture into pastry, leaving a 2-inch border around the outside edge.
- Fold pastry edges over fruit. Brush with egg yolk (if using). Sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Serve gallette warm with ice cream or dairy-free whipped topping.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes