Double Smoked Bacon Paella
The classic Spanish paella is loaded with mussels and shrimp. But we skip on those major allergens – and opt instead for the full-bodied flavor of double smoked bacon.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 slices allergy-friendly double smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and iced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup uncooked short grain rice
- 2 cups gluten-free, allergy-friendly chicken broth, plus additional as needed.
- 1/4 cup strained crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until fat is translucent and edges begin to crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions, peppers and carrots and sauté until onions are slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice and sauté until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 cups broth, tomatoes, paprika and salt. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until rice is al dente and most liquid had been absorbed, about 10 minutes. If the liquid evaporates too quickly, add 1/2 cup broth.
- Season with black pepper, to taste, and garnish with parsley, to serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes