Herbed Chicken Stew with Gluten-Free Dumplings
Fend off the cold with our favorful chicken and root vegetable stew, topped with delightful dairy-free, gluten-free dumplings.
Makes: 4-5 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, halved and sliced
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (710 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For chickpea flour, look for allergy-friendly, gluten-free brands. To make your own, place dried chickpeas in a high-speed blender and pulse repeatedly, until flour consistency is reached.
Not gluten-free, dairy-free? You can also use the dumplings recipe here.
Celery root (also called celeriac) shouldn't be confused with celery and is sold widely in produce sections, often with leaf stalks attached. Remove stalks and peel the root before dicing.
- For the stew, season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat. Place chicken in pan and cook 5-6 minutes per side. Chicken will not be cooked through, but skin will be lightly golden. Remove chicken, and set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan. Return to heat and reduce to medium. Add prosciutto and onions. Cook 2-3 minutes, until onions start to get translucent. Stir in leeks and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until leeks start to soften.
- Add celery root, sweet potato, rosemary, tarragon and salt. Stir to mix. Cook, stirring occasionally, until root vegetables start to soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add broth and lemon juice. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- For the dumplings, in a small bowl combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, chives, parsley, rosemary, onion powder and black pepper. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from pan. Continue simmering vegetable mixture, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, remove skin and shred chicken. Discard bones and skin.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup (60 mL) of hot broth from vegetable mixture. Stir into sauce until thickened. Return shredded chicken to pan.
- Drop dumpling dough by the tablespoon into stew. (you’ll have 10-12 dumplings). Spoon sauce over dumplings. Cover pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are doubled in size and cooked through.
- Season stew with black pepper to taste. Serve it in bowls, topped with 2-3 dumplings on top, and garnish with chives.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes