Tangy Barbecued Chicken
- 2 small chickens, each cut into 8
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11/2 cups (360 mL) ketchup
- 1 cup (250 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce [Optional. May substitute fresh orange juice]
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dried ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
The barbecue sauce can be made up to two days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Wash and pat dry cut-up chicken.
- Combine all other ingredients in a medium sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When cool, pour sauce over chicken and marinate in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
- Set barbecue to medium-high heat and grill the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes