Roast Chicken and Rice Soup
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken stock [look for gluten-free, allergen-free brands.]
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- rice – prepare 2 cups (when uncooked) of your favourite rice or rice blend. (We chose wild rice with long grain white.)
This wholesome soup can be refrigerated, then reheated (don’t boil) and ladled into a Thermos.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook chicken breasts 12-15 minutes or until done. Remove and allow to rest. Dice.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 2-4 minutes, until golden. Add garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaf, continuing to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer over low heat 10-12 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken, cooked rice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes