Sneaky Spanish Rice Bowls
My cauliflower-hating husband was non the wiser when I served him this dish. The finely minced cruciferous bites become one with the grain based, and the bold seasoning further unifies the ingredients. If you prefer a mellower flavor, increase the rice to 4 cups.
Makes: 3-4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 12 oz (340 g) cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin*
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) diced onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups (710 mL) cook rice (white or brown)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup non-GMO cooked corn kernels
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
*Note on Safe Cumin: How to find safe spices
- Finely mince cauliflower florets into small grain-sized pieces using a knife, box grater or food processor.
- Whisk chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, oregano and black pepper together in a small dish.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute 1-2 minutes, or until translucent. Add minced cauliflower and sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in broth, cover tightly and cook 3 minutes. If any liquid remains, remove lid and sauté until residual liquid boils off.
- Push cauliflower to one side of the skillet and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add cooked rice, and stir-fry rice and cauliflower together for 2 minutes.
- Add the spice blend and lime juice and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in black beans or chicken, along with corn, and warm for 30 seconds.
- Divide among bowls and top with avocado slices, to serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes