Spring Superfruit Smoothie
Mother Nature has a keen sense of flavor pairing. In the coming months, cherries, strawberries and certain mango varieties will all reach their peak – an epic trio that melds with a touch of seed butter for a nourishing breakfast treat. Use frozen cherries for a cool thicker consistency or fresh if you prefer a thinner beverage.
Makes: 1-2 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh or frozen sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) hulled strawberries
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsweetened milk beverage (coconut*, flax, rice or hemp)
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract or flavoring
- 3 drops pure stevia extract, 1 tsp honey or sweetener of choice, to taste.
*Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- Place cherries, mango and strawberries int a blender, with any fresh fruit closest to the blades.
- Add milk beverage, seed butter, chia seeds and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Taste test and blend in sweetener, as needed.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes