Stuffed Grape Leaves with Quinoa and Mint
Makes: 6-8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 jar of grape leaves (about 30 leaves), drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw quinoa
- 2 cups (475 mL) vegetable stock (look for allergen-free, GF brand)
- 2 cups (475 mL) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) currants
- 1 small bunch mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook quinoa in vegetable stock. Use medium heat until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked through.
- In a large bowl, add cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients (except grape leaves). Stir well, and taste test seasoning.
- Lay the grape leaves out on a flat surface. Place about 2 tbsp of filling onto the center of each leaf.
- Fold over one side lengthwise, then the other. Roll from the bottom to form a bundle. Each should resemble a short, fat cigar.
- Continue until all the filling is used up. (A great job for involving the kids!)
- Serve with our hummus and olives.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes