Triple Chocolate Cherry Pie
This six-ingredient dessert takes only about 30 minutes to prepare – and at least 30 more years of pleading with you to make again. It features over a pound of chocolate, juicy cherries, and a crust with a crunch – all nestled into a no-bake pie.
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 1/2 cups raw allergy-friendly sunflower seeds, such as Gerbs
- Pinch salt
- Olive oil or dairy-free, soy-free margarine for the dish
For the filling and topping
- 20 oz (567 grams; about 2½ cups) allergy-friendly semi-sweet chocolate, divided
- 1 1/2 cups canned, full-fat coconut milk (see Recipe Note)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup pitted and halved sweet cherries
A standard 3.5 oz / 400 mL can of full-fat coconut milk is just a little more than you need here. Use leftover milk in a smoothie, on cereal, or with fresh berries.
*A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch pie dish with olive oil.
- For the crust, soak raisins in warm water for 5 minutes, drain but reserve raisin water. Place sunflower seeds, drained raisins, and salt in a food processor. Pulse about 15 times until the mixture begins to stick together, adding raisin water if needed. Mixture should stick together, but still be slightly chunky.
- Scrape raisin and seed mixture into prepared dish, pressing snuggly into the bottom and up the sides. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- For filling and topping, separate chocolate into three heat-proof bowls: 8 ounces (1 cup) chocolate in two of the bowls and 4 ounces (½ cup) in a third..Make sure one of the first two bowls is large enough to whip chocolate with a hand mixer. Set aside the 4-ounce chocolate bowl for the drizzle.
- Shake coconut milk well, then pour into a small saucepan, adding Heat until steaming. Measure 1 cup of the coconut milk and pour it over one bowl of 8 ounces of chocolate. Set aside.
- Measure 1/2 cup of coconut milk and pour over second bowl of 8 ounces of chocolate. Let both chocolate mixtures stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove crust from refrigerator. After 5 minutes, whisk both chocolate mixtures until smooth and melted. Take mixture with 1 cup of coconut milk, and pour into the prepared crust. Scatter halved cherries onto chocolate mixture and transfer to refrigerator.
- Place second bowl of chocolate mixture with ½ cup of coconut milk in refrigerator. Chill for about 30 minutes, until mixture is thick like pudding. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment), begin to whip mixture, slowly increasing speed to medium-high. Whip until mixture becomes thick and light in color.
- Remove crust with the first layer from refrigerator. Dollop whipped mixture onto first layer, and return pie dish to refrigerator.
- For drizzle: Microwave remaining bowl of chocolate on medium-high in 20 second intervals, stirring in-between, until melted and smooth. Remove pie from refrigerator and drizzle chocolate over whipped
- Refrigerate pie for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve cold, storing covered leftovers in refrigerator, for up to 2 days.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes