Versatile Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb (450 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups (950 mL) beef stock (look for allergen-free brand), divided
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
This flavorful gravy is great on anything savory. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container. If it thins in storage, whisk in a little more cornstarch and heat to thicken.
Makes: 3 1/2 cups
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté 2 minute, until starting to soften. Add garlic and thyme and saute 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms and salt. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have cooked down and are browned.
- Add 3 cups (710 mL) beef stock and bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk remaining 1 cup (250 mL) beef stock with cornstarch and drizzle into pot while whisking. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring often, until thickened – about 20 minutes.
- Whisk in parsley. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes