Young man who died of anaphylaxis had been embarrassed about multiple food allergies.
Oakley Debbs, 11, died of anaphylaxis after consuming nut-containing cake.
After $15M settlement in tragedy, family will support allergy research, awareness.
Shahida Shahid, 18, informed restaurant staff of her severe food allergies and they assured her that her meal was safe.
Thirteen-year-old Natalie Giorgi was camping with a group of families in Sacramento, California on July 27, 2013 when she ate a single bite of a Rice Krispies square. The peanut-allergic teen thought it tasted “funny”, and spat it out. The taste turned out to be peanut butter. At first Natalie didn’t show any symptoms and… Read more »
We’re saddened to report that three young people have died from anaphylactic reactions in the past two months.
Update January 2013: Many Allergic Living readers expressed concern about the death in prison of Michael Saffioti, a Washington State man with severe dairy allergy and asthma. In early January, the Snohomish County Prosecutor made the decision not to lay any charges, based on a 400-page report compiled by the County Sherriff’s Office. The report… Read more »
The shocking deaths of two teens provide clues to what goes wrong in fatal food allergy reactions. [From the Summer 2006 edition of Allergic Living.] WHEN news surfaced that 15-year-old Christina Desforges of Saguenay, Quebec, had died of what appeared to be an anaphylactic reaction to a kiss from a boyfriend who had eaten a… Read more »