A 10-year-old Ontario boy with asthma and food allergies, who died after collapsing in his school’s office, was without proper asthma controller medication and didn’t have epinephrine administered quickly enough, even though he was carrying an auto-injector, the investigating coroner has revealed. Javier Avina died from either an asthma attack or a food-allergic reaction on April 5,… Read more »
Mennett Lee, who holds a masters of education degree, founded the Food Allergy Education Network and spent many years advocating for children with food allergies from her town of Branford, Connecticut. She and fellow volunteers provided educational resources on food allergies to families, schools and local communities.
The future of “Sabrina’s Law”, the groundbreaking anaphylaxis legislation, is suddenly in question.
Inspired to her sister’s severe food allergies, one Florida teen has lobbied for new state guidelines to educate school staff on everything from symptoms to emergency procedures to food handling to prevent cross-contamination in the cafeteria kitchen.
The hard work of food allergy advocates is leading to real change across the United States.